Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship | Canada


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship | Canada

Canada to provide support to Sudanese nationals

News Release

April 24, 2023—Ottawa—Canada continues to call for an end to violence in Sudan and stands with the Sudanese people as they strive for peace. We are deeply concerned for the safety of people in the area, and understand that some Sudanese nationals in Canada may wish to temporarily extend their stay here rather than return home at this time.

Today, the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced the Government of Canada will introduce new immigration measures to support Sudanese temporary residents who are currently in Canada and may be unable to return home due to the rapidly deteriorating situation in their country.

Once these measures are in place, Sudanese nationals can apply for an extension of their status in Canada and move between temporary streams, allowing them to continue studying, working or visiting family free of charge. These measures would help ensure the continued safety of the Sudanese population already in Canada, keep families together, and give them a safe place to stay. Details will be made available in the days ahead.

The situation in Sudan is constantly evolving, and movement within the country continues to be difficult and dangerous, which has an impact on our ability to process new applications at the current time. To facilitate immigration applications for those still in Sudan so they can travel once it’s safe to do so, the Government of Canada will also prioritize the processing of completed temporary and permanent residence applications already in the system from people still in the country. This includes visitor visa applications for eligible immediate family members of Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents, so they can join their loved ones here.

Canada will also waive passport and permanent resident travel document fees for citizens and permanent residents of Canada in Sudan who wish to leave.

This builds on Government of Canada work to explore options regarding departure assistance in collaboration with like-minded countries and the international community for as soon as conditions allow. Canadians in Sudan should check as often as possible for updates and sign up with the Government of Canada’s Registration of Canadians Abroad service.

Canadians wishing to leave Sudan should contact Global Affairs Canada’s Emergency Watch and Response Centre

  • by calling +1 613-996-8885
  • by text message at +1 613-686-3658
  • via WhatsApp at +1 613-909-8881
  • via Telegram at Canada Emergency Abroad
  • by email at [email protected] 


“Canada has a proud and long-standing tradition of providing protection to vulnerable people around the world, and we are deeply concerned for the well-being of people in Sudan, including Canadians and their family members. We are monitoring the situation closely, and are working to provide support for those seeking safety in Canada.”

– The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

Quick facts

  • Those eligible for priority processing will be still subject to all other statutory eligibility and admissibility requirements.
  • IRCC is preparing to deploy additional officers to the region to help those already on the ground support immigration-related operations.
  • The Canada Border Services Agency doesn’t have removals to Sudan scheduled at this time and we are also suspending any work on removals to Sudan.
  • More information about the measures for Sudanese nationals in Canada will be available on IRCC’s website in the coming days.

For new immigrants

  • Apply for a permanent resident card or Canadian citizenship and find out about how to start your life in Canada. Also find out what services are near you to help and what to expect for your first tax year.

Types of Immigration Status Documents

We issue many immigration documents after someone successfully applies for one of our immigration programs. Temporary and permanent residents use these documents to prove their status when applying for services and other benefits.

Immigration status document can be used

  • as proof of historical immigration information, including the date and place of entry to Canada
  • to access federal, provincial and municipal social benefits and services

If you accept these documents as part of your business, it’s important you know how to recognize them.

  • Temporary residents (IMM 1442)
    • Study permit
    • Work permit
    • Visitor record
    • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document
  • Permanent residents
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
    • Permanent resident card
  • Verification of Status (IMM 5009)

Temporary residents (IMM 1442)

We issue the IMM 1442 document to all temporary residents authorized to enter and remain in Canada.

The contents of the IMM 1442 depend on the resident’s status. We issue documents for

  • study permits
  • work permits
  • visitor records
  • Temporary Resident Permits (TRP)

These documents cannot be

  • used for travel
  • used as an identity document
  • laminated or altered in any way (altered or laminated documents are not valid)

We have started issuing a new version of the IMM 1442 document. Check the sections below for current examples of these documents.

Previous version of IMM 1442

Some temporary residents may have been issued the previous version of the document. If the expiry date on the document has not passed, the document is still valid.

Example of a previous version of a visitor record

Sample of a visitor record from 2012 showing the holder’s personal information, the date it was issued, and the date it expires.

Study permit

Example of a study permit.

We issue study permits to foreign nationals so they can study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada, usually for periods longer than 6 months.

It includes

  • the institute where they study
  • if their travel within Canada is restricted
  • the date they need to leave Canada

Learn more about study permits.

Work permit

Example of a work permit.

We issue work permits to foreign nationals so they can work in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a work permit to legally work in Canada.

It includes

  • the type of work they can do
  • the employer they can work for
  • where they can work
  • how long they can work (up to 5 years)

Learn more about work permits, including

Visitor record

Example of a visitor record.

We issue visitor records to both visa-required and visa-exempt foreign nationals to

  • extend or limit their stay in Canada beyond the 6-month standard
  • specify conditions during their stay
  • restore their status

It includes

  • the conditions of their stay
  • the date which they must leave Canada
  • the purpose of their stay in Canada

Learn more about visitor records.

Temporary Resident Permit

Example of a temporary resident permit.

We issue Temporary Resident Permits (TRP) under exceptional circumstances to foreign nationals who are inadmissible. They grant special authorization to enter or remain in Canada temporarily.

TRPs are usually valid for between 6 to 12 months.

Learn more about inadmissibility.

Refugee Protection Claimant Document

Example of a Refugee Protection Claimant Document.

We issue Refugee Protection Claimant Documents (RPCD) to refugee claimants after we refer their claims to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB).


A RPCD does not

  • explain the conditions for health coverage
  • provide the authorized period of stay and length of health coverage

Learn more about claiming refugee status in Canada.

Permanent Residents

Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)

Example of a Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

We issue a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) to foreign nationals either

  • before they travel to Canada, or
  • when they land in Canada

It confirms their permanent resident status before they get their permanent resident card.

The CoPR includes

  • the official date of landing
  • where they landed
  • medical exam details
  • any conditions of stay

Learn more about permanent resident status.

Permanent resident card

A permanent resident (PR) card proves that the holder has permanent resident status in Canada. If they travel abroad, they must show this card and their passport to return to Canada.

Learn more about permanent resident cards.

Sample of a PR card from 2009. The card shows the holder’s name, gender, date of birth and the date it expires.
2009 – 2015 version of PR card

Verification of Status (IMM 5009)

We issue verification of status (VOS) documents to foreign nationals, permanent residents or Canadian citizens when their original status document has been

  • lost
  • stolen
  • destroyed

The VOS document

  • confirms the holder’s current immigration status
  • provides information about the holder’s immigration history
  • gets printed on plain paper

Report a problem or mistake on this page

Share this page


Contacts for media only:

Bahoz Dara Aziz
Press Secretary
Minister’s Office
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
[email protected]

Media Relations
Communications Branch
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
[email protected]

for More Information Click here

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.